We love summer. Summer is awesome, no doubt about it. But like everything in life, summer isn’t perfect. There is another season that in many ways is better than summer. And that season is Fall. You think we’re crazy? Hear us out. Here are five reasons why Fall is WAY better than summer.
- Cooler Weather - August can be brutally hot and humid depending where you live but when Fall starts in September, things get much better. And when the air is cooler, many things get more fun. Exercise is more tolerable. Backyard BBQs and theme parties are enjoyable. Heck, just being outside is more comfortable. It also becomes easier to wear a wider range of clothing when you’re not constantly trying to dress cool.
- Football Season! - We LOVE football season and all the trimmings that come with it. Just the sound of a drumline or marching band warming triggers memories of fun and glories of seasons past. Plus we get to wear matching team colors, tailgate at the stadium, or have a game day house party. And the food! Just the sizzling sound and smoky aroma of meats and kabobs on grill gets our mouths watering in anticipation of an epic calorie fest.
- Wine is better - We love wine. We drink it all year round and without hesitation. But have you every enjoyed a glass of wine outside in 90-degree heat and humidity? We haven’t. On the other hand, having a glass of wine outside with friends on a cool crisp day without sweating or needing a jacket is pure bliss. On days like that, any glass of wine just seems to taste better.
- Halloween - When we were kids, we got to wear costumes to school and see what all our friends would wear. Then at night, we’d go trick or treating in the neighborhood. Sometimes we would even go trick or treating in someone else’s better neighborhood. As we got older, Halloween became that one day/night out of the year when we could dress up as something or somebody (like Magnum PI) and nobody would bat an eye. Dressing up and “hiding” behind a mask or outfit is liberating because it lets us escape to an alternate reality for a few hours and just be who or what we want to be and have a little fun.
- Fireplaces & Roasting Marshmallows - Sometimes the simplest things in life bring the most joy. And what could be better than ending a cool day next to a warm fireplace with a bag of marshmallows? Since fireplaces are not very common in Hawaii because our our year-round tropical climate, we often roast our marshmallows at night over a charcoal grill in the backyard or maybe a campfire at the beach or up in the mountains. But no matter, we never get tired of cozying up next to a nice warm fire and roasting marshmallows.